Environmental & Corrosion
The Environmental Department, performs:
- Hazardousness/risk assessments of liquid and solid wastes
- Solidification/stabilization studies of hazardous wastes for safe and cost efficient disposal
- Study/development of processes for the recycling of solid-wastes/by–products targeting to their use as raw materials in the manufacturing of new added value products and/or to the exploitation of their energy content
- Study/development of processes for metals recovery from industrial wastes/by–products (dusts, slags etc) from the mining & metallurgical industry
- Monitoring of National and European Environmental Legislation and preparation of tutorials regarding the interpretation & implementation by the industry of high impact complex legislations (i.e. REACH, CLP)
- Environmental consultancy in mining & metallurgical industries
The Corrosion Department performs comparative corrosion resistance studies of bare metals and their various surface treatments including cleaning and chemical, electro-chemical or polymer-based coatings by exposure in various environments using the below equipment and methods:
- Salt spray chamber VSC/KWT 1000 for the simulation of accelerated corrosion conditions. Tests according to ASTM B117, ISO 9227 are possible.
- Climatic chamber VC4034, which allows the study of the materials behavior in a wide range of temperature and humidity conditions, while special cyclic tests can be performed through computer programming.