The laboratory of the Mechanical Testing is equipped with cutting edge machines and measuring devices offering the capability of a wide spectrum mechanical tests under static and dynamic loading conditions and variable temperatures.
Characteristic examples of such testing techniques are the following:
- Low and high temperature tensile testing
- Low and high temperature three- and four-point bend testing
- Static and Quasi-Static Compression testing
- Sheet Formability testing
- Fatigue testing
- Impact testing
- Creep testing
- Universal hardness testing
- CTOD Fracture Toughness testing
Formability testing equipment is available, including Erichsen doming and cup-drawing machines for the testing of anisotropic behaviour of rolled sheets.
The laboratory is also equipped with automated CNC machine tools not only for the preparation of test pieces but also for machinability studies of conventional and non conventional materials.
Its research activities also cover areas of failure analysis and root-cause investigation of materials and machine components.