ELKEME, Hellenic Research Centre for Metals S.A.
ELKEME was founded in 1999 to support the Hellenic Metallurgical Industry. Through a variety of state-of-the-art laboratories ELKEME focuses on industrial research and technological development/analysis in four major metal sectors: Aluminum, Copper, Steel and Zinc, providing efficient solutions to our customers.
Our activities are mainly focused on applied technological research towards:
a.Development of new, innovative and high added value products as well as quality improvement of existing.
b.Optimization of industrial processes, to support energy and cost efficient operations but always with respect to human health and safety as well as the environment.
c.Continuous research in plant environmental performance and impact assessment, as well as in sectors such as recycling, stabilization and utilization of by-products towards companies’ sustainable growth.
ELKEME has the following departments/laboratories:
- Analytical Chemistry
- Environmental and Corrosion
- Process Metallurgy
- Physical Metallurgy and Forming
- Metallography and Electron Microscopy
- Materials Characterization
- Mechanical Testing & Manufacturing Technology
- Surface Science and Coatings
- Numerical Modeling
ELKEME focuses on the following fields:
- Steel, Aluminum, Copper, Brass and Zinc metallurgy
- production process operations
- corrosion protection
- surface science
- metal coatings
- analytical chemistry test development
- joining and welding
- mechanical properties determination
- alloy design and selection
- development of new metallic products
- fracture mechanics
- failure analysis
- industrial environmental control and analysis
ELKEME has been particularly successful in:
- Resolving metallurgical problems encountered in the production process, to improve quality and cost efficiency
- Providing scientific support to the development of metal products
- Analyzing product failures
- Developing environment friendly techniques and associated technology
- Initiating integrated research programs in the field of Metallurgy and Materials Science
- Collaborating with national and international laboratories
- Bridging the gap between industry and academia
- Bringing state-of-the-art know-how into industrial production
ELKEME carries out annually, an important number of medium and large scale projects focusing on new products and production processes as well as on quality and productivity improvements. A large number of smaller projects deal with the analysis, characterization and evaluation of materials, products and processes, to resolve industrial challenges, of which a significant portion is dedicated to environmental analysis and the provision of consulting services.
ELKEME has established and maintains long term relationships with academic institutes, research centres and industrial entities both in Greece and in Europe. It is also actively participating in international ventures and collaborations on metallurgy and materials science research programs.
ELKEME team members participate in international scientific/engineering associations while regularly contributing research papers to scientific journals and conferences.
R & D
ELKEME work is focused in industrial research and technological development/analysis.
Research in ELKEME, is performed by 25 competent and high level scientists, researchers and engineers – mainly metallurgists, chemists and chemical engineers- using cutting-edge analytical equipment.
The majority of our R&D efforts focus on solutions for a wide variety of metallurgical, chemical, surface coatings and environmental problems, such as interpretation of as-cast and thermal-mechanically processed microstructures, alloy design and production development, steel, aluminum, copper, brass and zinc products and production processes, metal-faced composite panels, electrical and telecommunication cables, various coatings for metals, recycling and environmental control/engineering.
Being highly aware of the industrial activities in Greece, ELKEME supports new cooperation in Industry and/or Academia in Greece, EU and internationally.
ELKEME has a long-term experience in managing EU funded research projects, for its strategic R&D initiatives.
- Bilateral industrial research cooperation in fields of common interest.
- EU funded R&D projects.
- Team building for know-how exchange in physical metallurgy, alloy design, alloy selection, welding-joining and forming.
- Workshops for exchange of knowledge and ideas.
- Seminars for quick scientific information diffusion.
Among other activities, ELKEME has already successfully organized two welding seminars, one in collaboration with the British TWI (The Welding Institute) and a second jointly with the Greek Academic Community.